Distributing Inbound SMS Messages to Multiple Parties
SMS messages can be copied to multiple recipients. However, an SMS-enabled phone number can be assigned to a single recipient only and only the assigned recipient is able to reply to the SMS from that phone number.
If an SMS is copied to an email address or ReachUC user, then the recipient can only reply if their email address or ReachUC account is assigned to another (different) SMS-enabled phone number. In that case, the recipient of the SMS reply would see the sender’s assigned phone number as the source phone number (and not the SMS number that they originally sent a message to).
If you would like to have SMS messages delivered to multiple recipients and have all users be able to reply from the same number, here are the recommended best practices:
- Have all recipients use a single ReachUC account. Since it is possible for multiple devices to login to one ReachUC account, all the desired recipients can share a single account to receive and reply to SMS messages.
- Create a group email address and assign the SMS-enabled phone number to it. But note that you can only reply to an emailed text if your FROM email address is assigned (not copied) to the SMS enabled phone number. For example, if the SMS was assigned to the email address “firstname.lastname@example.org” then all replies must come from the email address “email@example.com“.
For help on how to add email accounts to your Gmail or Outlook follow the links or videos posted below.
- Gmail app for Android, iPad, and iPhone:
- Mail for iOS
- Apple Support: Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Youtube (iPhone): How to Set up Email on your iPhone – iOS 11- iPhone 7,8 and iPhone X
- Gmail on your browser:
- Gmail Help: Check emails from other accounts
- Youtube: Manage Multiple Email Accounts in Gmail – Save Time!
- Outlook for PC, Mac, or Mobile:
- Microsoft Support: Add an email account to Outlook
- Microsoft Support: Outlook for iOS and Android Help
- Microsoft Support: Connect email accounts in Outlook on the web (Office 365)